REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
If the vehicle is not equipped with an air bag, skip Step 1 and simply disconnect the negative battery cable. Also, disregard all instructions below related to air bags.
- If equipped, disable the SIR system, as outlined in Chassis Electrical of this repair guide.
- If not already done, disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Lower the steering column; be sure to properly support it.
- Position the switch in the OFF-UNLOCKED position. With the lock cylinder removed, the rod is in LOCK when it is in the next to the uppermost detent; OFF-UNLOCKED is 2 detents from the top.
- Remove both switch screws, then remove the switch assembly.
- Place the new switch in the OFF-UNLOCKED position. Ensure the lock cylinder and actuating rod are in OFF-UNLOCKED position (3rd detent from the top).
- Install the actuating rod into the switch and assemble the switch on the column. Tighten the mounting screws.
Use only the specified screws since over-length screws could impair the collapsibility of the column.
- Install the steering column.
- If equipped with the SIR system, properly enable the system, as outlined in Chassis Electrical of this section.
- If not already done, connect the negative battery cable, then check the turn signals for proper operation.