REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Raise and safely support the vehicle, allowing the front suspension to hang freely.
- Remove both front tire and wheel assemblies.
The wheels of the vehicle must be straight ahead and the steering column in the LOCK position before disconnecting the steering column or intermediate shaft from the steering gear. Failure to do so will cause the SIR coil assembly to become uncentered, which will damage the coil.
- If equipped, move the intermediate shaft cover upward, then unfasten the intermediate shaft-to-stub shaft pinch bolt.
- Using a suitable puller, separate both tie rod ends from the steering knuckles.
- Position a suitable drain pan under the power steering fluid lines. Remove the power steering fluid line retainer, then disconnect the outlet and inlet hoses from the steering gear. Allow the fluid to drain, then plug the lines to avoid contaminating the system.
- Remove the steering gear assembly-to-chassis mounting bolts.
- Support the body with suitable jackstands to allow for the lowering of the frame.
- Loosen the front frame mounting bolts.
- Remove the rear frame bolts, then lower the rear of the frame about 3 inches (76mm).
- Remove the steering gear assembly by maneuvering it through the left wheel well opening.
- Install the rack and pinion assembly into the vehicle, maneuvering it through the left wheel well opening.
- Raise the rear of the frame, then install the frame bolts and tighten to 76 ft. lbs. (103 Nm).
- Install the rack and pinion assembly-to-chassis bolts. Tighten the rack mounting bolts to 3 ft. lbs. (68 Nm).
- Remove the jackstands.
- Apply Loctite® thread locking kit 1052624, or equivalent thread locking compound to the steering gear mounting bolts.
- Install the steering gear mounting bolts, and washers, then tighten the retainers to 3 ft. lbs. (68 Nm) in the sequence shown in the accompanying figure.
- Unplug and attach the power steering gear outlet and inlet hoses, then tighten the fittings to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Install the power steering fluid line retainer.
- Connect the tie rod ends to the steering knuckles. Tighten the nuts to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm). Install a new cotter pin. Tighten the nut up to an additional 1 / 6 turn, or to 52 ft. lbs. (70 Nm) to align the cotter pin slot. Do not loosen the nut to install the cotter pin.
- Install the intermediate shaft-to-stub shaft pinch bolt and tighten to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm). If equipped, move the intermediate shaft cover upward into position.
- Install both front tire and wheel assemblies, then carefully lower the vehicle.
- Refill the power steering pump reservoir, then bleed the power steering system and check for leaks.
- Take the vehicle to a reputable repair shop and have the front end alignment checked and adjusted as necessary.