REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The fluid should be changed with the transmission warm. A 20 minute drive at highway speeds should accomplish this.
- Raise and support the vehicle, preferably in a level attitude.
- On some models it may be necessary to remove the crossmember, make sure to support the transmission if this is necessary.
- Place a large pan under the transmission pan. Remove all the front and side pan bolts. Loosen the rear bolts about four turns.
- Pry the pan loose and let it drain.
- Remove the pan and gasket. Clean the pan thoroughly with solvent and air dry it. Be very careful not to get any lint from rags in the pan.
It is normal to find a SMALL amount of metal shavings in the pan. An excessive amount of metal shavings indicates transmission damage which must be handled by a professional automatic transmission mechanic.
- Install the pan with a new gasket. Tighten the bolts evenly to 12 ft. lbs.
- Lower the vehicle and add the proper amount of DEXRON®II automatic transmission fluid through the dipstick tube.
- Start the engine in PARK and let it idle. Do not race the engine. Shift into each shift lever position, shift back into PARK , and check the fluid level on the dipstick. The level should be 1 / 4 in. (6mm) below ADD. Be very careful not to overfill. Recheck the level after the vehicle has been driven long enough to thoroughly warm up the transmission. Add fluid as necessary. The level should then be at FULL.
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Remove the fluid pan.
- Remove the strainer-to-valve body screws, the strainer, and the gasket. Most transmissions will have a throw-away filter instead of a strainer. On the 400 transmission, remove the filter retaining bolt, filter, and intake pipe O-ring.
- If there is a strainer, clean it in solvent and air dry.
- Install the new filter or cleaned strainer with a new gasket. Tighten the screws to 12 ft. lbs. (16 Nm). On the 400, install a new intake pipe O-ring and a new filter, tightening the retaining bolt to 120 inch. lbs. (14 Nm).
- Install the pan with a new gasket and add the proper amount of DEXRON®II automatic transmission fluid through the dipstick tube. Follow the procedure in removal and installation.