See Figure 1
1977 and later full size Buick, Olds and Pontiac vehicles do not have a neutral safety switch. Instead, these vehicles have a mechanical interlock between the lock and the transmission selector, which is nonadjustable.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove any trim panels which may interfere with the switch removal.
- Remove the switch attaching screws and disconnect the electrical connector.
- Remove the switch.
- Place the shift lever in NEUTRAL .
- Mount the switch but do not tighten the screws. Reconnect the electrical connector.
- Move the switch until you can insert a gauge pin, 0.092 in. (2.33mm), for 1975-76, into the hole in the switch and through to the alignment hole.
- Tighten the screws and remove the pin.
- Step on the brake pedal and check to see that the engine will only start in NEUTRAL or PARK .