See Figures 1 and 2
The combination valve used on the large Buicks, Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs is a three-function valve. It serves as a metering valve, balance valve, and brake warning switch. There are two different valves, one manufactured by Bendix and one manufactured by Kelsey-Hayes. Both valves serve the same function and differ only in minor details. In any case, all combination valves are non-adjustable and must be replaced if they are found to be defective.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect all the brake lines at the valve. Plug the lines to prevent contamination and loss of fluid.
- Disconnect the warning switch wiring connector from the valve switch terminal.
- Remove the attaching bolts and remove the valve.
- Install the valve and torque the brake lines to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm) using flare nut wrench only.
- Bleed the entire brake system after valve installation.