See Figures 1, 2 and 3
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove injection pump and lines as described earlier.
- Remove the injection pump adapter.
- Remove the seal from the adapter.
- File the timing mark from the adapter. Do not file the mark off the pump.
- Position the engine at TDC of No. 1 cylinder. Align the mark on the balancer with the zero mark on the indicator. The index is offset to the right when No. 1 is at TDC.
- Apply a chassis lube to the seal areas. Install, but do not tighten the injection pump.
- Install the new seal on the adapter using tool J-28425, or its equivalent.
- Torque the adapter bolts to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
The following procedure involving the special timing tool, applies for models built through 1981. For 1982 and later models, set the injection pump at the center of the slots in the pump mounting flange, and then have the pump timed with the special timing device described in the Injection Pump Removal & Installation procedure.
- Install timing tool J-26896 into the injection pump adapter. Torque the tool, toward No. 1 cylinder to 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm). Mark the injection pump adapter. Remove the tool.
- Install the injection pump.