REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the radiator.
- Loosen the alternator and other accessories at their adjusting points, and remove the fan belts from the fan pulley.
- Remove the fan and pulley.
- Remove any accessory brackets that might interfere with water pump removal.
- Disconnect the hose from the water pump inlet and the heater hose from the nipple on the pump. Remove the bolts, pump assembly and old gasket from the timing chain cover.
- Check the pump shaft bearings for end play or roughness in operation. Water pump bearings usually emit a squealing sound with the engine running when the bearings need to be replaced. Replace the pump if the bearings are not in good shape or have been leaking.
- Make sure the gasket surfaces on the pump and timing chain cover are clean. Install the pump assembly with a new gasket. Torque the pump-to-front cover bolts to 10 ft. lbs. (14 Nm) and the pump-to-block bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm), uniformly.
- Connect the hose to the water pump inlet and the heater hose to the nipple on the pump.
- Install any accessory brackets that were removed.
- Install the fan and pulley.
- Tighten the alternator and other accessories at their adjusting points.
- Refill the radiator with engine coolant.
- Connect the negative battery cable.