REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Raise the hood. Cover the fenders with protective pads. This is necessary to protect the paint because the hood will often contact these areas during removal or installation procedures. Place masking tape on the fender and hood covers and edges.
- On models equipped with an underhood light disconnect the lamp wiring.
- Very precisely use a sharp scribe to mark the relationship between the hood and the hood hinges so that you can remount it without the need to adjust it.
- Support the hood, especially at the front, in a secure manner. Remove the bolts on either side that fasten the tops of the hinges to the underside of the hood. Remove the bolts starting at the front and moving toward the rear to help avoid placing stress on the assembly. Make sure the hood is securely supported to help prevent bending of it as you work.
- When all the bolts are removed, lift the rear of the hood off the hinges and then lift the unit off the vehicle.
- Carry the hood from either side and position it over the engine compartment in its normal position. Raise the front and position it at the right angle to the upper surfaces of the hinges. Pass all the bolts through the upper hinges and start them into the lower side of the hood. Do not tighten them, but leave plenty of clearance to adjust the position of the hood on the hinges.
- Carefully shift the hood on both hinges simultaneously to align the matchmarks. Then, tighten the mounting bolts, torquing to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm). Close the hood and check its fit in the body and the alignment of the hood latch. If necessary, readjust the hood alignment as described below. Reconnect the underhood light wiring, if the vehicle is so equipped.
Close the hood and check its fit in the body and the alignment of the hood latch. If necessary, loosen all the mounting bolts just slightly and shift the adjustment in the correct direction. Repeat this procedure until the hood latches smoothly and securely and all gaps between the hood and body are of equal width. Torque the mounting bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).