See Figures 1, 2 and 3
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Allow the fuel pressure to bleed off.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly, noting and labeling the vacuum and electrical connections.
- Disconnect and label the electrical connectors at the TBI unit.
- Disconnect the throttle cable at the TBI unit.
- Disconnect the fuel feed and return lines.
- Unbolt and remove the TBI unit.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
- Allow the fuel pressure to bleed off and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Squeeze the two tabs of the injector connector and pull straight up.
- Remove the fuel meter cover.
- With the fuel meter cover gasket in place to prevent damage to the casting, use a screwdriver to lift the injector carefully until it is free from the fuel meter body.
- Remove the small O-ring from the nozzle end of the injector. Carefully rotate the injector back and forth and remove the filter from the base of the injector.
- Remove and discard the fuel meter cover gasket.
- Remove the large O-ring and steel back-up washer from the top of the counterbore of the fuel meter body injector cavity.
- Install the fuel injector nozzle filter on the nozzle end of the fuel injector. Use a twisting motion to position the filter against the base of the injector.
- Lubricate a new small O-ring with automatic transmission fluid. Push the O-ring on the nozzle end of the injector until it presses against the injector fuel filter.
- Install the steel backup washer in the top counterbore of the fuel meter body injector cavity.
- Lubricate a new large O-ring with automatic transmission fluid and install it directly over the backup washer. Be sure the O-ring is seated properly in the cavity and is flush with the top of the fuel meter casting surface.
- Install the injector in the cavity, aligning the raised lug on the injector base with the cast-in notch in the fuel meter body cavity. Push down on the injector until it is fully seated in the cavity.
- Install the fuel meter cover. Thread locking compound must be used on the threads.
- Install the injector electrical connector.
- Install the air cleaner and reconnect the negative battery cable.