Do not attempt any service on the steering wheel, column or instrument panel on Buick and Oldsmobile models equipped with an air bag. Service on these models should only be performed by a professional technician.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Turn the steering wheel so the vehicle's wheels are in the straight ahead position. Turn the key to the LOCK position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the column to instrument panel trim plates and attaching nuts.
- Lower the column and disconnect the shift indicator cable.
- Disconnect the ignition and dimmer switch connectors.
- Remove the switch attaching screws and remove the switch.
- Move the actuator rod hole in the switch to the lock position.
Install the switch with the rod in the hole. Adjust the switch as follows:
- Models to 1988- Move the switch slider to the extreme left ACC position, then move the slider 2 detents to the right to the OFF-UNLOCK position.
- 1989 and 1990- Place a 3 / 32 in. drill bit in the hole on the switch to lock the switch into position. Move the switch slider to the extreme left position then move the slider 1 detent to the left LOCK position.
- Position and reassemble the steering column in reverse of the disassembly procedure.