REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
If equipped with the air cushion restraint system, do not attempt any service which would require removal of the steering wheel, column, or dashboard. Any service procedures involving these components should only be performed by a professional. Do not attempt any other service until the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK position and the negative battery cable is disconnected and the end taped. This procedure must be followed to prevent accidental deployment of the system which could result in personal injury and/or damage to the systems components. In addition, care must be exercised to never bump or strike the bumper impulse detector in a manner which could cause inadvertent deployment or improper operation of the system.
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the right and left sound insulators.
- Remove the steering column trim plate.
- Remove the instrument panel pad attaching screws. On some models it may be necessary to remove the speaker and defogger grilles to access some screws. Remove the pad.
- Split the bulkhead connector by removing the bolt and screws on the inside on the fuse block and pull the harness free.
- Lower the steering column and disconnect all electrical connections that are connected to the instrument panel harness.
- Disconnect the parking brake release cable.
- Remove the A/C or heater control head.
If equipped, disconnect:
- Wire at switch for the rear compartment lid release.
- Antenna lead.
- Power antenna wire connector.
- Connector for rear window defogger.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable at the transducer in the engine compartment, or the transmission for slack.
- Remove the lower A/C duct by removing the screws and rotate the duct out.
Remove the instrument panel by removing:
- Nuts from the top left and right of the panel.
- Screws from the center support.
- Bolts from the steering column support bracket.
- The screws from the upper tie bar.
- Screws from the lower reinforcement.
- Bolts from the steering column opening, if present.
- Speedometer cable from the speedometer.
- Instrument panel from it's support brackets.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.