Do not atttempt this service on cars equipped with an air bag. This service should be left to a professional service technician to avoid damage to the system and personal injury.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the steering wheel as previously outlined.
- On models equipped with a tilt and telescope column, pry up the three tabs on the plastic lock cover. On other models, remove the three screws.
- Depress the steering wheel lock plate and pry the snapring from the shaft.
- Remove the lock plat, canceling cam, and upper bearing spring.
- Remove the turn signal lever. Push the hazard warning knob in and unscrew the knob.
- Remove the turn signal switch screws and pull the switch up out of the way.
- Turn the ignition key to the RUN position.
- Insert a long thin prybar into the slot in the upper bearing housing and depress the release tab while pulling the cylinder from the column.
- Insert a new lock cylinder into the column after aligning the key on the cylinder with the keyway in the column.
- Press inward on the cylinder while turning it clockwise.
- Install the turn signal switch and screws.
- Install the turn signal lever. Push the hazard warning knob in and install the screw.
- Install the upper bearing, canceling cam and lock plate.
- Install the snapring to the shaft.
- On models equipped with a tilt and telescope column, push down the three tabs on the plastic lock cover. On other models, install the three screws.
- Install the steering wheel as previously outlined.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check all column functions.