SHIFT LINKAGE/CABLE ADJUSTMENT
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4All Models Except 440-T4
- Loosen the swivel screw on the shift linkage clamp.
- Set the lever on the transmission into Neutral by moving it counterclockwise to the L1 detent, then clockwise three detent positions to Neutral.
- Place the transmission selector lever (in the car) in Neutral as determined by the stop in the steering column. DO NOT use the indicator pointer for reference.
- Tighten the shift linkage screw.
- Check that the key cannot be removed and that the steering wheel is not locked when the key is in Run and the transmission is in Reverse. Check that the key can be removed and the transmission linkage is locked when the key is in Lock and the transmission is in Park. Be sure the car will start only in Park and Neutral. If it starts in any gear, the neutral start switch must be adjusted. Start the engine and check for proper shifting in all ranges.
- Move the console shift lever into the Neutral position.
- Loosen the nut to the cable end pin at the transaxle manual lever arm. The transaxle cable must be assembled to the shift control assembly and installed in the control cable bracket.
- Position the manual linkage lever arm in the Neutral position. Neutral may be found by rotating the manual lever clockwise from the Park position, through Reverse and into Neutral.
- With the cable end pin through the lever arm slot, hold the shift lever in the neutral position and then tighten the nut on the cable end pin to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
The lever must be held out of Park when torquing.
There are no band adjustments possible or required for the transmissions used in this guide.
DETENT CABLE ADJUSTMENT
Turbo Hydra-Matic 350
See Figure 5
These transmissions utilize a downshift cable between the carburetor and the transmission.
- Pry up on each side of the detent cable snap-lock with a small pry bar to release the lock. On cars equipped with a retaining screw, loosen the detent cable screw.
- Squeeze the locking tabs and disconnect the snap-lock assembly from the throttle bracket.
- Place the carburetor lever in the wide open throttle position. Make sure that the lever is against the wide open stop. On cars with Quadrajet carburetors, disengage the secondary lock-out before placing the lever in the wide open position.
The detent cable must be pulled through the detent position.
- With the carburetor lever in the wide open position, push the snap-lock on the cable or else tighten the retaining screw.
Do not lubricate the detent cable.
1973 AND LATER
See Figures 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10
- Stop the engine.
- Locate the TV cable adjuster near the carburetor.
- Depress and hold down the metal tab of the TV cable adjuster.
- Move the slider until it stops against the fitting.
- Release the adjuster tab.
- Turn the carburetor lever to the full throttle stop position and release it.
By turning the carburetor lever to the full throttle stop, the TV cable will automatically adjust itself.
DETENT SWITCH ADJUSTMENT
See Figures 11, 12 and 13Turbo Hydra-Matic 400
Turbo Hydra-Matic 400 transmissions are equipped with an electrical detent, or downshift switch operated by the throttle linkage.
- Place the carburetor lever in the wide open position.
- Position the automatic choke so that it is off.
- Fully depress the switch plunger.
- Adjust the switch mounting to obtain a distance of 0.05 in. (1.27mm) between the switch plunger and the throttle lever paddle.
- Pull the detent switch driver rearward until the hole in the switch body aligns with the hole in the driver. Insert a 3 / 32 in. (2.38mm) diameter pin through the aligned holes to hold the driver in position.
- Loosen the mounting bolt.
- Press the switch plunger as far forward as possible. This will preset the switch for adjustment, which will occur on the first application of wide open throttle.
- Tighten the mounting bolt and remove the pin.
THROTTLE VALVE (TV) CABLE ADJUSTMENT
See Figures 14, 15 and 16200-4R and 440-T4
- Check the transmission fluid level. The engine should be operating properly and the brakes should be adjusted. Check that the cable is connected at both ends.
- Depress the adjustment tab on the upper end of the TV cable. While holding the tab down, move the slider through the fitting (away from the lever assembly) until it stops against the fitting.
- Release the tab.
- Rotate the cable actuating lever to the full throttle stop position. When doing this, the cable slider should rachet out of the cable fitting toward the cable actuating lever.
- Release the cable actuating assembly.
Do not adjust the cable using the throttle pedal.
- Check the cable for sticking and binding, at both cold and warm operating temperatures. Road test the vehicle.