REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Rear Wheel Drive
See Figure 1
- Siphon some fluid from the brake master cylinder.
- Raise and support the vehicle on jackstands.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the caliper from the steering knuckle and support on a wire.
- Remove the splash shield.
- Remove the grease cup, the cotter pin, the castle nut and the hub assembly.
- Remove the 3 bolts holding the shield to the steering knuckle.
- Using the ball joint removal tool J-6627, disconnect the tie rod from the steering knuckle.
- Using ball joint removal tool J-23742, disconnect the ball joints from the steering knuckle.
- Place a floor jack under the lower control arm (near the spring seat) and disconnect the ball joint from the steering knuckle.
- Raise the upper control arm and disconnect the ball joint from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the steering knuckle from the vehicle.
- Place the steering knuckle into position and insert the upper and lower ball joints.
- Install the stud nuts and torque the upper nut to 61 ft. lbs. (83 Nm) and the lower nut to 83 ft. lbs. (112 Nm).
- Install the splash shield.
- Install the hub and rotor assembly.
- Install the outer bearing, then install the spindle washer and nut. Adjust the front wheel bearing.
- Install the brake caliper.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly.
- Lower the car.
- Check the front wheel alignment and reset as necessary.