See Figures 1 and 2
Air Cushion Restraint System is a driver knee restriant system which replaces the lower steering column cover assembly. Before servicing any component turn the ignition switch to LOCK then disconnect the negative battery cable and tape terminal the end to avoid accidental deployment.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the lower steering column cover.
- Reach behind the instrument cluster and push the speedometer cable casing toward the speedometer while depressing the retaining spring on the back of the instrument cluster case. Once the retaining spring has released, hold it in while pulling outward on the casing to disconnect the casing from the speedometer.
- Remove the cable casing sealing plug from the dash panel. Then, pull the casing down from behind the dash and remove the cable.
- If the cable is broken and cannot be entirely removed from the top, support the car securely, then unscrew the cable casing connector at the transmission. Pull the bottom part of the cable out, and then screw the connector back onto the transmission.
- Lubricate the new cable with a speedometer cable grease. Insert it into the casing until it bottoms. Push inward while rotating it until the square portion at the bottom engages with the coupling in the transmission, permitting the cable to move in another inch or so. Then, reconnect the cable casing to the speedometer and install the sealing plug into the dash panel.