REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9
- Unscrew the Torx retaining screws and remove the headlight bezel.
- Remove the headlight bulb retaining screws. These are the screws which hold the retaining ring for the bulb to the front of the car. Do not touch the two headlight aiming screws, at the top and the side of the retaining ring (these screws will have different heads), or the headlight aim will have to be re-adjusted.
- Pull the bulb and ring forward, then separate them. Unplug the electrical connector from the rear of the bulb.
- Plug the new bulb into the electrical connector. Install the bulb into the retaining ring and then install the ring and the bulb. Install the headlight bezel.
All Models Except 1986-89 Eldorado and Seville
The headlights must be properly aimed to provide the best, safest road illumination. The lights should be checked for proper aim, and adjusted if necessary, after installing a new sealed beam unit or if the front end sheet metal has been replaced. Certain state and local authorities have requirements for headlight aiming; these should be checked before adjustment is made.
The car's fuel tank should be about half full when adjusting the headlights. Tires should be properly inflated, and if a heavy load is normally carried in the car, it should remain there.
Horizontal and vertical aiming of each sealed beam unit is provided by two adjusting screws, which move the mounting ring in the body against the body of the coil spring. There is no adjustment for focus; this is done during headlight manufacturing.1986-89 Eldorado and Seville
These models are equipped with composite headlight assemblies. Due to the special tools required to adjust the aim (J-25300-1 Unit A Aimer; J-25300-2 Unit B Aimer and J-25300-203 Composite lamp Adapter), this procedure is best left to a qualified service technician.
- Park the vehicle on level ground and set the parking brake.
- Attach the three special tools mentioned in the NOTE above to the headlamps.
- Rock the vehicle back-and-forth a few times.
- Check that the fuel level is no more than a half tank and then set the aim. Vertical adjustment should be between 2 in. (50.8mm) UP and 2 1 / 2 in. (63.5mm) DOWN. Horizontal adjustment should be between 4 in. (101mm) RIGHT and 4 in. (1016mm) LEFT.
- Remove the special headlamp aiming tools.