REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Mark the driveshaft and the pinion yoke so they can be reassembled in the same position.
- Disconnect the driveshaft from the rear axle pinion yoke and support the shaft up in the body tunnel by wiring the driveshaft to the exhaust pipe.
- If joint bearings are not retained by a retainer strap, use a piece of tape to hold the bearings on their journals.
- Remove the pinion seal.
- Install the seal using an oil seal installer tool.
- Install seal lubricant, 1050169 or equivalent, to the O.D. of the pinion yoke and sealing lip of the new seal.
- Install the pinion yoke and tighten the nut to the same position as marked. While holding the pinion yoke, tighten the nut to 1 / 16 in. (1.59mm) beyond the alignment marks.