REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Full Size Models
- Raise and support the car.
- Place a jack under the differential housing.
- Remove the wheels.
- If the car has level control, disconnect the link at the overtravel lever and position it in its center location.
- Remove the shock absorber lower retaining nuts and washers.
- Disconnect the brake line retaining clip from the axle and frame, but do not disconnect the brake line. This should allow enough slack as the axle is lowered to eliminate the need for disconnecting and reconnecting the brake line. If enough slack cannot be obtained, disconnect the brake line from the hose and plug both openings. Be sure to bleed the brakes after installation.
- Disconnect rear U-joint and wire the driveshaft out of the way. Do not allow the driveshaft to hang unsupported.
- Remove nuts and bolts that secure both upper control arms to the axle brackets.
- Lower rear axle assembly slowly until the springs are free and remove the springs.
- Tape the upper rubber insulator to the top of the spring and position the upper end of the LH rear spring coil toward the left frame side rail and position the upper end of the RH rear spring coil toward the right frame side rail.
- Seat the bottom of the spring on the rear axle.
- Raise the rear axle, being careful to engage the axle in the upper control arms and install the pivot bolts. Tighten the nut securing the control arm to the rear axle to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm) On Limousine or Commercial Chassis tighten to 83 ft. lbs. (112 Nm).
- Install the cable in the clip at the center of the rear crossmember. and connect the cable to the C-connector.
- Slide the cable through the hole and connect the left hand parking brake cable to equalizer and install the clips.
- Place a jackstand under the nose carrier.
- Remove the wire from the driveshaft and connect the shaft to the pinion shaft.
- Install the lower control arm to axle bolts and torque to 122 ft. lbs. (165 Nm) On Limousine or Commercial Chassis tighten to 100 ft. lbs. (136 Nm).
- If equipped with ELC, connect the link to the height sensor arm.
- Install one bolt securing the junction block to the top of the rear axle and secure the brake lines in the clips.
- If equipped with ELC, position the stabilizer bar on the car and install the two bolts and washer on each side of the car securing the stabilizer bar to the lower control arms.
- Install the shock absorbers.
- Remove the jackstands and lower the car.
- Raise the car under the tube assembly and support it with stands at the frame lift points. Do not remove the jack.
- Disconnect the brake line clips.
- Disconnect the shock absorber at the lower mount.
- Install a spring compressor and finger-tighten the nuts.
- Disconnect the control arm at the tube assembly.
- Lower the jack (supporting the control arm, not the frame) and remove the spring.
- Place the insulator on top of the spring and install the spring. The top end of the spring should point to the right side of the car.
- Hoist the tube assembly and connect the shock absorber.
For 1979-85 Eldorado and 1980-85 Seville procedures please refer to Rear Control Arm and Coil Spring removal and installation in this section.