REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Jack up car and support it on jackstands at frame side rails.
- Support axle housing with jackstands.
- Disconnect shock absorber from U-bolt plate.
- Remove front spring eye bolt.
- Remove U-bolt plate nuts, plate and insulators.
- Disconnect rear shackle links and lower spring.
- To install, reverse removal procedure. Tighten shackle nuts to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm), U-bolt nuts to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm), and lower shock nuts to 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm). The car must be lowered to the ground before tightening the U-bolt nuts.
- Raise the rear of the car and support it so the axle can be raised or lowered. Raise the axle so that all tension is relieved from the spring.
- Disconnect the rear automatic leveling valve over-travel lever from its link and hold the lever in the exhaust position (down) to deflate the shock absorbers.
- Disconnect the lower half of the shock absorbers and move them out of the way.
- Loosen the parking brake adjustment at the equalizer and remove the parking brake cable clip from the front retaining bracket on the spring. Remove the cable clamps from the under side of the springs.
- Loosen the spring front eye bushing-to-retaining bracket bolt.
- Remove the bolts retaining the front spring bracket to the underbody.
- Lower the axle enough to permit access to the front eye bolt and remove the bracket from the spring.
The front eye bushing can be replaced at this time.
- Remove the U-bolt and T-bolt nuts retaining the lower spring plate to the axle and stabilizer bar brackets.
- Remove the upper and lower spring pads and spring plate.
- Support the spring with a jackstand and remove the two nuts from the rear shackle.
- Separate the shackle and remove the spring from the vehicle.
- If the spring is being replaced, remove the spring damper for installation on the new spring by removing the clamp bolt and bending the bottom half of the clamp down about 2 in. (50mm). Slide the clamp rearward over the damper and remove the damper from the spring.
- Position the spring damper on the new spring and position it 1 / 8 in. (3mm) from the front spring eye. Slide the clamp forward over the damper and position the clamp at the second leaf of the spring.
The clamp must face upward and the nut must be on the outside of the spring. Install the clamp bolt pointing up and tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm). Do not tighten any of the attaching hardware to specifications until Step 25 (when all components are in position). Allow the retaining nuts and bolts to remain only finger-tight.
- Position the front eye of the spring to the front mounting bracket and install the attaching bolt and washer with the bolt head on the inside. Bolt torque will be 105 ft. lbs. (142 Nm).
- Install the upper shackle bushings in the frame. Position the shackles to the bushings, then install the bolt and nut. Torque will be 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm).
- Install the bushing halves in the rear spring eye and install the spring to the shackle. Lower shackle bolt and nut torque will be 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm).
- Raise the front end of the spring and position the bracket to the underbody. Make sure the tab on the bracket is aligned in the slot in the underbody.
- Install the screws retaining the front spring bracket to the underbody. Torque will be 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- Position the spring upper cushion between the spring and the axle bracket so the cushion ribs align with the bracket locating ribs.
- Position the lower mounting plate over the locating dowel on the lower spring pad and install the retaining nuts. Torque will be 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm).
- Position the stabilizer brackets to the lower spring plate. Retaining bolts and nut torque will be 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- Connect the lower shock absorber mount to the lower spring bracket. Torque will be 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm).
- Install the parking brake cable under the leaf spring, then secure it at the front of the spring with the wire clip and clamp. Adjust the parking brake cable.
- Connect the rear leveling over-travel lever to its link.
- Tighten all of the attaching hardware to the specified torques.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Raise the car. Support the rear axle at center with hydraulic jack. Remove the rear wheel from side being worked on.
- Remove the nut that secures the automatic level control link to the axle bracket, then remove link.
- Remove the nut that secures the front of spring to frame bracket.
Do not remove bolt now.
- Remove the two nuts at rear shackle outer link and remove the link.
- Remove the four nuts and lockwashers that secure the center spring clamp to the rear axle and position it out of the way.
- Lower the hydraulic jack until axle is free from the spring. Remove the rear shackle assembly from the spring and body.
- Remove the bolt from the front of the spring and remove the spring.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Tighten all of the attaching hardware to the specified torques.