REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1979-85 Eldorado and 1980-85 Seville
See Figure 1
- Raise the car and remove the wheel.
- Remove the bolt from each side which secures the front of the stabilizer bar to the control arm.
- Remove the inner bolt and loosen the outer bolt from each side of the stabilized link.
- Position the bottom parts of the link to one side and remove the stabilizer bar.
- Disconnect the brake line bracket from the control arm.
- Remove about 2 / 3 of the fluid from the front master cylinder.
- Loosen the parking brake tension at the cable equalizer.
- Remove the cable from the parking brake and remove the cable bracket from the caliper or brake drum backing plate.
- Remove the return spring, lock nut, lever and the anti-friction washer on disc brakes. The lever must be held while removing the nut.
- Install and tighten a 7 in. (178mm) C-clamp on the caliper to bottom the cylinder pistons.
- Disconnect the brake line from the brake and plug the openings to prevent the entrance of dirt.
- With a 3 / 8 in. allen wrench, remove the two caliper mounting bolts and remove the caliper, pads and rotor. On drum brakes, remove the hub and bearing assembly and remove the brake backing plate, along with the brake shoes.
- If working on the left side, snap the Electronic Level Control (ELC) link off the control arm.
- Support the bottom of the control arm with a floor jack.
- Remove the ELC line at the shock.
- Remove the shock absorber.
- Lower the control arm to relieve tension on the spring. Remove the spring and the insulators.
- Remove the two control arm mounting bolts and remove the control arm.
- Position the control arm to the frame brackets and install the two mounting bolts and nuts. Tighten to 75 ft. lbs. (9 Nm).
- Install the spring with the upper and lower insulator.
- Using a floor jack, compress the spring until the shock absorber can be installed, secure to the brackets on the control arm and frame with the two mounting bolts and nuts. Tighten to 60 ft. lbs. (81 Nm) and remove the floor jack.
- Connect the ELC air line to the shock connector.
- If working on the left hand side of the control arm, snap on the ELC link to its ball pivot at the control arm and snap the locking tab in place.
- Install the rotor on the hub aligning the marks made during disassembly.
- Install the brake caliper.
- Install the wheel and tighten the lug nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (136 Nm).