All engines are equipped with dry type air cleaners which use replaceable air filter elements. The positive crankcase ventilation system (PCV) air filter element on gasoline engine is also found in the air filter housing (usually mounted on the inside of the housing rim). Both of these filter elements should be replaced at 30,000 mile or 1 1 / 2 year intervals, unless the vehicle is driven in extremely dusty or smoggy conditions where replacement should be much more frequent.
AIR CLEANER ELEMENT AND CRANKCASE BREATHER REPLACEMENT
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11
The filter element used on all Cadillacs is of the dry, disposable type. It should never be washed, soaked or oiled.
- Remove the wing nut(s) from the top of the air cleaner assembly and lay it aside.
- Remove the air cleaner cover and gently lift the air cleaner element out of the housing without knocking any dirt into the carburetor.
- Pull the crankcase breather out of the valve cover or remove the clip and remove it from the air cleaner (if so equipped).
- Wipe the inside of the air cleaner housing with a paper towel or clean rag.
- Install a new crankcase breather.
- Install a new air cleaner element.
- Replace the air cleaner cover and install the wing nut(s).