REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 11986-89 Eldorado and Seville
- Raise the front of the vehicle and support it on safety stands. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Disconnect the intermediate shaft lower coupling.
- Disconnect both tie rod ends at the steering knuckles.
- Disconnect the line retainer.
- Disconnect and plug the outlet and pressure hose.
- Tag and disconnect the pressure switch electrical lead.
- Remove the five rack and pinion assembly mounting bolts.
- Remove the rack assembly by sliding out to the side.
- Slide the rack assembly into position and tighten the mounting bolts to 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm).
- Install the outlet and pressure hose. Tighten the fitting to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Install the tie rod ends and tighten the nut to 7.5 ft. lbs. (10 Nm). Tighten the nut an additional 1 / 3 of a turn (two flats of the nut).
When tightening the tie rod end nut in Step 12, a minimum torque of 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm) must be obtained. If you find this to be impossible, check for stripped threads. If the threads are satisfactory, replacement of the tie rod end and/or the steering knuckle will most likely be required.
- After tightening the tie rod end nut to specifications, align the slot in the nut with the cotter pin hole in the shaft. This is done by TIGHTENING ONLY! Never align the slot and the hole by loosening the nut!
- Connect the intermediate shaft lower coupling to the rack stub shaft and tighten the bolt to 30 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Reconnect the pressure switch. Install the wheel and tire assembly, then lower the car.
- Bleed the power steering system as detailed later in this section.