REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
If necessary to remove the steering wheel, be sure to use a steering wheel puller.
- Remove the nut/bolt from the upper intermediate shaft coupling, then separate the coupling from the lower end of the steering column.
- If equipped with a column mounted shifter, disconnect the transmission control linkage from the column shift tube levers. If equipped with a floor shifter, disconnect the back drive linkage.
- At the steering column assembly, disconnect all of the electrical connectors.
- Remove the floor pan cover-to-floor screws, the floor seal and the cover.
- Remove the steering column bracket-to-instrument panel nuts. If equipped with an automatic transmission, disconnect the shift position indicator pointer.
Once the steering column has been removed from the vehicle, be careful not to drop it (especially on its' end), lean on it or damage it in any way; the column is very susceptible to damage.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures.