removal & installation
Special tool J 41545 may be required to perform this procedure.
4T80-E Late Models
- Set the parking brake.
- Set the gear selector to the neutral N .
- Remove the electrical connector.
- Remove the cable and the lever.
- Remove the park/neutral position switch.
Verify that the transmission still is in the neutral
position. If the position has moved, rotate the shaft clockwise from park
. Be careful not to damage the shaft flats, corners, or threads.
New replacement park/neutral position switches already are pinned in the neutral N position.
Check for a cracked carrier if either of the following conditions exist:
- The pin is sheared.
- You are installing the original switch.
After the park/neutral switch installation, verify that the engine starts only in P or N . If the engine starts in any other position, readjust the park/neutral position switch.
Check the shifter for normal freedom of movement.
Install the park/neutral position switch.
- Align the flats in the park/neutral position switch with the transmission manual shaft flats.
- Press the park/neutral position switch onto the shaft. Fully seat the switch against the transmission.
- Install the bolts loosely.
- With the alignment tool, verify the alignment of the switch before tightening the bolts.
- Tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Remove the alignment tool.
- Install the cable and the lever.
- Install the linkage retaining nut and tighten to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Attach the electrical connectors.