The HEI module, acting as an electronic ON/OFF switch controls the current flow in the primary winding of the ignition coil. This switching action induces a high voltage in the ignition coil secondary winding which is directed through the rotor and secondary leads to fire the spark plugs.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the distributor cap.
- Remove the rotor.
- Remove the module attaching screws, and then carefully lift the stamped sheet metal shield and the module up and out of the distributor.
- Disconnect the leads from the module. Be careful and observe the color code on the leads as this must not be interchanged.
- Connect the leads to the module. Maintain the color code observed in the procedure for removal.
- Install the module shield and module to the distributor using the attaching screws.
- Install the rotor and the distributor cap.