REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
4.5L and 4.9L Engines
- Remove the intake manifold and gasket.
- Remove the valve covers, rocker arm assemblies and pushrods.
- If the lifters are coated with varnish, apply carburetor cleaning solvent to the lifter body. The solvent should dissolve the varnish in about 10 minutes.
- Remove the lifters. A special tool for removing lifters is available, and is helpful for this procedure.
- Coat the bottoms of the lifters, and the rollers with Molykote® or an equivalent molybdenum-disulfide lubricant before installation. Install the lifters and pushrods into the engine in their original order.
- Install the intake manifold gaskets and manifold.
- Position the rocker arms, pivots and bolts on the cylinder head. Position and install the rockers and rocker shaft.
- Install the valve covers, connect the spark plug wires, and install the air cleaner assembly.
- Remove the camshaft cover.
- Remove the camshafts for the head being worked on.
- Remove the valve lifters in order, and store on their camshaft face so that the residual oil is retained.
- Install the valve lifters in their original bores.
- Install the camshafts.
- Install the camshaft cover.