REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The special tool required for this procedure is the J 42067 Rear main oil seal installer
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the flex plate.
Remove the rear main oil seal.
- Center punch the steel ring of the seal.
- Carefully drill a small, shallow, pilot hole into the steel ring of the seal.
- Screw in a self-tapping screw.
- Remove the seal by pulling it out with pliers.
- Use caution when drilling the hole to prevent damage the engine components on the opposite side of the seal.
Install the rear main oil seal.
- Coat lip of the seal with a small amount of chassis grease to aid in installation.
- Install the new seal using the special tool J 42067.
- Install the flex plate.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
To perform this procedure, use a Seal Removal tool J-26868 or equivalent, and a Seal Installer tool J-34604 or equivalent.
- Remove the transaxle.
- Unbolt and remove the flexplate from the rear end of the crankshaft.
- Using a Seal Removal tool J-26868 or equivalent, remove the old seal. Thoroughly clean the seal bore of any leftover seal material with a clean rag.
- Lubricate the lip of a new seal with wheel bearing grease. Position it over the crankshaft and into the seal bore with the spring facing inside the engine.
- Using a Seal Installer tool J-34604 or equivalent, press the seal into place. The seal must be square (this is the purpose of the installer) and flush with the block to 1 mm indented.
- To complete the installation, reverse the removal procedures. Tighten the flexplate-to-crankshaft bolts to 37 ft. lbs. (52 Nm). Refill the crankshaft. Operate the engine and check for leaks.
- Remove the transaxle assembly.
- Remove the flexplate.
- Use a suitable prying tool between the seal lips and the crankshaft and remove the seal.
Use extreme care to avoid damage to the crankshaft sealing surface. NOTE: The preferred method for removing the seal is by drilling a 1 / 8 -inch hole in the metal seal body and removing with a body dent puller (slide hammer).
- Place a small amount of RTV sealant at the crankshaft split line across the end of the upper/lower crankshaft seal.
- Lubricate the rear main seal sealing lips with engine oil and slide the seal over the arbor of the seal installer J 38817. The greater spring faces in.
- Thread the seal installer J 38818 into the crankshaft flange and install the seal by turning the handle until it bottoms against the crankcase.
- Install the flywheel.
- Install the transaxle assembly.