The recommended lubricant for the rear axle assembly is SAE 80W-90 GL -5 gear lubricant (GM P/N 12345977 or equivalent).
- Ensure the vehicle is level.
- Clean the area around the rear axle housing filler plug.
- Remove the rear axle housing filler plug from the passenger side of the rear axle differential.
The lubricant level is to be maintained at the bottom edge of the filler plug hole WHEN COLD. Use only the recommended lubricant as specified.
- Install the rear axle housing filler plug into the rear axle differential.
DRAIN AND REFILL
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Support the differential with a suitable (transmission) jack.
- Remove the ABS sensor connectors.
- Remove the differential support bracket bolts from the differential support bracket.
- Remove the rear differential bushing bolts from the differential.
- Lower the differential slightly.
- Place a drip pan underneath the differential.
- Remove the rear axle housing cover bolts.
- Remove the rear axle housing cover from the rear axle housing.
- Clean the sealing surfaces on the rear axle housing and cover.
- Remove the ABS sensor bolts and sensor from the cover.
- Install the ABS sensor and bolts to the cover.
- Tighten the bolts to 62 inch lbs. (7 Nm.).
- Coat the sealing surfaces uniformly with sealant, GM P/N 12346141, or equivalent.
- Install the rear axle housing cover to the rear axle housing.
- Install the rear axle housing cover bolts and tighten to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm.).
- Raise the differential into place.
- Install the differential support bracket bolts to the differential support bracket. Tighten the bolts to 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm) + 38°.
- Install the rear differential bushing bolts to the differential and tighten to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm).
- Install the ABS sensor connectors. Remove the transmission jack.
- Refill the rear axle with lubricant.
- Lower the vehicle, test-drive, and inspect for leaks.