REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and safely support the vehicle securely.
- Remove the front wheels.
- Remove the brake pad wear indicator rubber sleeve from the strut assembly.
- Remove the wheel speed sensor and brake hose from the strut bracket.
- Remove the brake caliper and support it.
- Remove the set screw from the rotor and remove the rotor.
- Remove the dust cap from the wheel hub
- Unbolt the wheel hub nut.
- Remove the wheel hub, with the bearing, from the steering knuckle.
Installation is the reversal of the removal procedure.
- Tighten the wheel hub nut to 236 ft. lbs. (320 Nm).
- Raise and safely support the vehicle, allowing the front suspension to hang free.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Clean the halfshaft threads of all dirt and lubricant. Insert a drift punch through the caliper and into the rotor to keep the rotor from turning, then remove the hub nut and washer, if equipped.
- Remove the caliper without disconnecting the brake hose. Suspend the caliper from the coil spring with wire; do not let it hang by the brake hose.
- Remove the disc brake rotor.
- If equipped, detach the anti-lock brake wheel speed sensor connector.
- Remove the hub and bearing assembly retaining bolts and the dust shield.
- Use tool J-28733-A or equivalent, to separate the hub and bearing assembly from the halfshaft.
- Apply a light coating of grease to the knuckle bore. Install the new hub and bearing assembly. Draw the hub and bearing assembly onto the halfshaft with a new hub nut.
- Install the dust shield and the hub and bearing assembly retaining bolts. Tighten to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
- If equipped, attach the anti-lock brake wheel speed sensor connector.
- Install the disc brake rotor and caliper.
- Insert a drift punch into the caliper and rotor to prevent the rotor from turning. On 1990-91 vehicles, tighten the hub nut to 185 ft. lbs. (251 Nm). On 1992-98 vehicles, tighten the hub nut to 110 ft. lbs. (145 Nm), except on Deville and Fleetwood equipped with J55 brake option, in which case the torque is 130 ft. lbs. (177 Nm).
- Install the wheel and tire assembly and lower the vehicle.