The purpose of the in-line fuel filter is to provide filtration to protect the small metering orifices of the injector nozzles. The filter is located downstream of the electric fuel pump and is mounted on the underbody. The fuel filter is a one-piece construction that cannot be cleaned. If it becomes clogged, it must be replaced.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Depressurize the fuel system.
- Remove the filter bracket retainer.
For plastic type fittings:
- Grasp the filter and one fuel line fitting. Twist the quick connect fitting 1 / 4 turn in each direction to loosen any dirt within the fitting. Repeat for the other fuel line fitting.
- Squeeze the plastic retainer release tabs and pull the connection apart. Repeat for the other fitting.
For metal type fittings:
- Use a fuel pipe quick-connect separator J37088 or equivalent. This is available from your local parts store.
- Insert the tool into the female side of the connector, then push inward to release locking tabs. Pull the connection apart.
- Remove the protective caps from the new