REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The fluid should be changed with the transmission warm. A 20 minute drive at highway speeds should accomplish this.
- Raise and support the vehicle, preferably in a level attitude.
- With Turbo Hydra-Matic 250 or 350, support the transmission and remove the support crossmember.
- Place a large pan under the transmission pan. Remove all the front and side pan bolts. Loosen the rear bolts about four turns.
- Pry the pan loose and let it drain.
- Remove the pan and gasket. Clean the pan thoroughly with solvent and air dry it. Be very careful not to get any lint from rags in the pan.
- Install the pan with a new gasket. Tighten the bolts evenly to 12 ft. lbs. (8 ft. lbs. for Powerglide and Torque Drive).
- Lower the car and add the proper amount of automatic transmission fluid through the dipstick tube.
Refer to General Information And Maintenance for information about transmission fluid recommendations.
- Start the engine in Park and let it idle. Do not race the engine. Shift into each shift lever position, shift back into Park, and check the fluid level on the dipstick. The level should be 1 / 4 in. below ADD. Be very careful not to overfill. Recheck the level after the car has been driven long enough to thoroughly warm up the transmission. Add fluid as necessary. The level should then be at FULL.
For automatic transmission fluid filter removal and installation procedures, refer to General Information And Maintenance in this manual.