REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 7
Certain steps may not apply to all engines.
- Drain the radiator.
- Loosen the fan pulley bolts.
- Disconnect the heater hoses, lower radiator hose, and the bypass hose (if so equipped) at the water pump.
- Loosen the alternator swivel bolt (remove the upper brace on V8s) and remove the fan belt.
- Disconnect the power steering and air conditioning belts and swivel the power steering pump to one side (on Mark IV engines).
- Remove the fan and pulley.
Viscous drive fans should not be stored horizontally. The silicone fluid can leak out of the fan assembly if it is not kept upright.
- Remove the water pump-to-cylinder blockbolts and the power steering-to-pump bolts. Remove the water pump. On six-cylinder engines, remove the pump by pulling it straight out of the block.
- Install the pump on the block with a new gasket.
- Install the pump pulley and the fan onto the pump.
- Connect the hoses and refill the cooling system. Install the remaining components, bolts, and belts.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.