REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except 231 cid Engine
See Figures 1 through 11
Rocker arms are removed by removing the adjusting nut. Be sure to adjust the valve lash after replacing the rocker arms. Coat the replacement rocker arm and ball with SAE 90 gear oil before installation.
When replacing an exhaust rocker with a new one, move an old intake rocker to the exhaust rocker arm stud and install the new rocker arm on the intake stud. This will prevent burning of the new rocker arm on the exhaust position.
Rocker arms studs that have damaged threads or are loose in the cylinder heads may be replaced by reaming the bore and installing oversize studs. Oversizes available are .003 and .013 in. The bore may also be tapped and screw-in studs installed. Several aftermarket companies produce complete rocker arm stud kits with installation tools. Mark IV and late high performance small-block engines use screw-in studs and pushrod guide plates.Except 231 cid Engine
- Remove the rocker arm covers.
- Remove the rocker arm shaft assembly bolts.
- Remove the rocker arm shaft assembly.
- To remove the rocker arms from the shaft, the nylon arm retainers must be removed. They can be removed with a pair of water pump pliers, or they can be broken by hitting them below the head with a chisel.
- Remove the rocker arms from the shaft. Make sure you keep them in order. Also note that the external rib on each arm points [cf2]away from the rocker arm shaft bolt located between each pair of rocker arms.
- If you are installing new rocker arms, note that replacement rocker arms are marked "R" and "L" for right and left side installation. [cf2]Do not interchange them.
- Install the rocker arms on the shaft and lubricate them with oil.
- Center each arm on the 1 / 4 in. hole in the shaft. Install new nylon rocker arm retainers in the holes using a 1 / 2 in. drift.
- Locate the pushrods in the rocker arms and insert the shaft bolts. Tighten the bolts a little at a time until they are tight.
- Install the rocker arm covers using new gaskets.
See the Engine Rebuilding Section.