REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
For the removal and installation of the floor-mounted optional instrument cluster/console available in the 1967-69 Camaros, refer to Instruments and Switches in Chassis Electrical of this repair guide.1970-81 Models
See Figure 1
- If the vehicle is equipped with power windows and the window switches are mounted in the center console, disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Open the center console storage compartment box door, then remove the hold-down screws in the bottom of the box. With the door open, lift the storage compartment box out of the floor console.
- Through the compartment box hole in the console, remove the four rear console hold-down bolts.
- From under the dashboard, at the front of the floor console, remove the front floor console bracket-to-lower dashboard screws on each side.
- If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission, remove the gearshift knob. If the vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission, detach the rubber shifter boot from the cover plate.
- Remove the four gearshift cover plate mounting screws (automatic and manual transmissions). Slide the cover plate up and off the gearshift lever.
- Lift and prop the floor console approximately 6 in. off the floor to access the power window switch wires, if equipped. Label and disengage the power window wire connectors from the switches.
- Remove the floor console from the vehicle. At this time, the power window switches and the rear ash tray may be removed from the console, if applicable.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.