If the ride of your car has become increasingly bouncy or fluid leakage can be observed on the shock absorber, it's time to replace the shock absorbers. Push up and down on the rear bumper several times and then let go. If the car continues to move up and down the shocks aren't doing their job.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Raise the rear of the car and support the rear axle assembly.
- Remove the lower mounting bolt.
- Remove the upper bracket mounting screws and also the shock and bracket.
- Remove the nut, retainer, grommet, gasket, and bracket from the shock rod.
- Inspect the grommets and gasket, and replace them if they are worn or rotted.
To install, reverse the removal procedures.1970-81 Models
See Figures 2 through 6
- Raise the car and support the rear axle.
- Remove the lower nut, retainer, and grommet.
- Remove the upper bolts and lift out the shock.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.