REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the signal switch wiring from the wiring harness under the instrument panel.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- If applicable, remove the shift lever.
- Remove the four-way flasher lever arm.
- If equipped with an automatic transmission, remove the dial indicator housing and lamp assembly from the column.
- Remove the mast jacket lower trim cover.
- Remove the C-ring and washers from the upper steering shaft.
- Loosen the signal switch screws, move the switch counterclockwise, and remove it from the mast jacket.
- Remove the upper support bracket assembly.
Support the column; do not allow it to be suspended by the lower reinforcement only.
- Remove the wiring harness protector and clip, then reinstall the support bracket and finger-tighten the bolts.
- Remove the shift lever bowl from the mast jacket and disconnect it from the wiring harness.
- Remove the three lockplate screws, being careful not to lose the three springs.
- Disassemble the switch and upper bearing housing from the switch cover.
- Insert the upper bearing housing assembly and switch assembly into the switch cover.
- Align the switch and bearing housing with the mounting holes in the cover and install the three mounting screws.
- Slide the springs onto the screws and install the lockplate over the springs. Tighten the screws three turns into the lockplate.
- Position the switch wire through the shift lever bowl and place the upper end assembly on top of the bowl.
- Place the shift lever bowl and signal switch assembly on top of the jacket, inserting the lockplate tangs into the slots.
- Push down on the cover assembly and turn clockwise to lock the assembly into position.
- Tighten the signal mounting screws.
- Remove the mast jacket support bracket, then install the wiring, wiring cover and clip. Install and tighten the support bracket.
- Install a C-ring onto the shaft.
- Install the dial indicator and lamp assembly on the column, if so equipped.
- Install the mast jacket lower trim cover, if so equipped.
- Install the four-way flasher knob and the turn signal lever.
- Install the shift lever.
- Install the steering wheel.
- Connect the wiring and battery cable.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the trim cover from the column.
- Remove the steering column cover from the shaft by removing the three screws or by prying it out with a small prytool (1976 and later models).
- Using a compressing tool, compress the lockplate. With the plate compressed, pry out the snapring from its shaft groove and throw it away.
- Slide the canceling cam, spring, and washer off the shaft.
- Remove the turn signal lever.
- Push the four-way flasher knob in and unscrew it.
- Remove the three switch mounting screws.
- Pull the switch connector out of the bracket and wrap it with tape to prevent it from snagging.
- If applicable, place tilt columns in the low position and remove the harness cover.
- Remove the switch.
- To install, reverse the removal procedure, being sure to use only the specified nuts and bolts. Using screws that are slightly too long could prevent the column from collapsing during a collision.
- When installing the cancelling cam, spring, and washer, make sure that the switch is in neutral and that the flasher knob is out.
- Use a compressing tool to compress the lockplate and install a new snapring.