REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 6
- Disconnect the negative battery cable at the battery.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Disconnect the throttle valve (TV) control cable at the carburetor.
- Remove the transmission oil dipstick. Unbolt and remove the dipstick tube.
- Raise the vehicle and support it safely with jackstands.
In order to provide adequate clearance for transmission removal, it may be necessary to raise both the front and the rear of the vehicle.
- Mark the relationship between the driveshaft and the rear pinion flange so that the driveshaft may be reinstalled in its original position.
- Unbolt the universal joint straps from the pinion flange (use care to keep the universal joint caps in place), lower and remove the driveshaft from the vehicle. Place a transmission tailshaft plug or rag in place of the driveshaft to keep the transmission fluid from draining out.
- Disconnect the catalytic converter support bracket at the transmission.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable, electrical connectors and the shift control cable from the transmission.
- Remove the torque arm-to-transmission bolts.
- Remove the flywheel cover, then mark the relationship between the torque converter and the flywheel so that these parts may be reassembled in the same relationship.
- Remove the torque converter-to-flywheel attaching bolts.
- Support the transmission with a jack, then remove the transmission mount bolt.
- Unbolt and remove the transmission crossmember.
- Lower the transmission slightly. Disconnect the throttle valve cable and oil cooler lines from the transmission.
- Support the engine using GM special tool BT-6424 or its equivalent. Remove the transmission-to-engine mounting bolts.
- Remove the transmission from the vehicle. Be careful not to damage the oil cooler lines, throttle valve cable, or the shift control cable. Also, keep the rear of the transmission lower than the front to avoid the possibility of the torque converter disengaging from the transmission.
- Position the transmission and converter into place.
- Install the transmission-to-engine mounting bolts.
- Connect the throttle valve cable and oil cooler lines to the transmission.
- Install the transmission crossmember and secure with bolts.
- Install the transmission mount bolt.
- Matchmark the torque converter-to-flywheel. Install the torque converter-to-flywheel attaching bolts.
Before installing the converter-to-flywheel bolts, be sure that the weld nuts on the converter are flush with the flywheel, and that the converter rotates freely by hand in this position.
- Install the flywheel cover.
- Install the torque arm-to-transmission bolts.
- Connect the speedometer cable, electrical connectors and the shift control cable from the transmission.
- Connect the catalytic converter support bracket at the transmission.
- Align the matchmark made earlier, then install the driveshaft to the axle pinion. Bolt the universal joint straps to the pinion flange.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Install the dipstick tube using a new dipstick tube O-ring and secure with the bolt. Install the transmission oil dipstick.
- Connect the throttle valve (TV) control cable at the carburetor.
- Install the air cleaner assembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable at the battery.