See Figure 1
The knock sensor is usually mounted to the right lower side of the engine block. When spark knock or pinging is present, the sensor produces a voltage signal which is sent to the ECM. The ECM will then retard the ignition timing based on these signals.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the engine coolant.
- Raise and properly support the vehicle.
- Disconnect the knock sensor wiring harness.
- Remove the knock sensor from the engine block.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the sensor to 14 ft. lbs (19 Nm).