REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Unplug and label the electrical connections from the distributor.
- Remove the distributor cover and wire retainer, if equipped. Turn the retaining screws counterclockwise and remove the cap.
- Mark the relationship of the rotor to the distributor housing and the housing relationship to the engine.
- Remove the distributor retaining bolt and hold-down clamp.
- Pull the distributor up until the rotor just stops turning counterclockwise and again note the position of the rotor.
- Remove the distributor from the engine.
- Insert the distributor into the engine, with the rotor aligned to the last mark made, then slowly install the distributor the rest of the way until all marks previously made are aligned.
- Install the distributor hold-down clamp and retaining bolt.
- If removed, install the wiring harness retainer and secondary wires.
- Install the distributor cap.
- Engage the wire connections on the distributor. Make certain the connectors are fully seated and latched.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.
If the engine was accidentally cranked after the distributor was removed, the following procedure can be used during installation.
- Remove the No. 1 spark plug.
- Place a finger over the spark plug hole. Have a helper turn the engine slowly using a wrench on the crankshaft bolt until compression is felt.
- Align the timing mark on the pulley to 0 on the engine timing indicator.
- Turn the rotor to point to the No. 1 spark plug tower on the distributor cap.
- Install the distributor assembly in the engine and ensure the rotor is pointing toward the No. 1 spark plug tower.
- Install the cap and spark plug wires.
- Check and adjust engine timing.