REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except 2.5L Engines
See Figures 1 through 6
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner on carbureted engines.
- If applicable, remove the air cleaner pre-heater shroud.
- Disconnect the air injection reaction pipes, if equipped.
- Unplug the oxygen sensor connector.
- Label and unplug the spark plug wires.
- Remove the spark plug wire heat shields, if equipped.
- Remove any components which may interfere with removal.
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold and hang it from the frame out of the way.
- On some engines, it will be necessary to bend the locktabs from the bolt. Remove the end bolts, then the center bolts. Remove the manifold.
A thin wall 6-point socket, sharpened at the leading edge and tapped onto the head of the bolt, simplifies bending the locktabs.To install:
- Make sure the mating surfaces are clean.
- Install a new gasket, if applicable.
Position the exhaust manifold onto the engine. Torque the attaching bolts to:
1982-1992 V6 engines: 25 ft lbs. (34 Nm)
- Bend the locktabs over the bolts.
- Connect the exhaust pipe to the manifold.
- Install all components removed.
- Connect the oxygen sensor.
- Install the spark plug wire heat shields.
- Connect the spark plug wires.
- If equipped, install the air cleaner pre-heater shroud.
- If equipped, connect the air injection reaction pipes.
- Connect the battery.
See Figure 7
- Disconnect the negative battery cable at the battery.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly, be sure to mark any disconnected hoses for proper reinstallation.
- Unplug the oxygen sensor and disconnect the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold.
- Remove the engine oil level dipstick and tube.
- Remove the exhaust manifold attaching bolts and remove the manifold.
- Position the exhaust manifold onto the engine with a new gasket. Torque the bolts, following the correct sequence, to 44 ft lbs. (60 Nm).
- Install the engine oil level dipstick tube and dipstick.
- Connect the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold.
- Engage the oxygen sensor connector.
- Install the air cleaner assembly and connecting hoses.
- Connect the negative battery cable at the battery.