REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Drain and remove the oil pan.
- Remove the oil pump-to-rear main bearing cap bolt. Remove the pump and the extension shaft.
- Remove the cotter pin, spring and pressure regulator valve.
Place your thumb over the pressure regulators bore before removing the cotter pin, as the spring is under pressure.To install:
- Assemble pump and extension shaft to rear main bearing cap, aligning slot on top end of extension shaft with drive tang on lower end of distributor driveshaft.
When assembling the driveshaft extension to the driveshaft, the end of the extension nearest the washers must be inserted into the driveshaft.
- Insert the driveshaft extension through the opening in the main bearing cap and block until the shaft mates into the distributor drive gear.
Install the pump onto the rear main bearing cap and install the attaching bolts. Torque the bolts to specifications:
L4 engines: 22 ft lbs. (30 Nm)
- Install the oil pan and fill the crankcase with engine oil.