REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Drain the fuel from the tank into an approved container. Use a hand-operated pump to drain the fuel through the filler neck.
- Safely raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the fuel filler neck shield.
- Remove the rear axle assembly.
- Remove the rear portion of the exhaust system.
- Remove the exhaust heat shield.
- Clean all the fuel pipes and hoses in the surrounding areas to prevent contamination of the fuel system.
- Disconnect the rear fuel feed, fuel return, vapor, and vent hoses at the fuel sender assembly.
- Separate the electrical connection.
- With the aid of an assistant, support the fuel tank.
- Remove the fuel tank strap front attaching bolts. Do not bend the straps as this will damage them.
- Remove the tank straps and the fuel tank.
- Hook the rear end of the fuel tank straps into the underbody bracket.
- With the aid of an assistant, position and support the fuel tank with the straps. Loosely install the front fuel tank attaching bolts.
- Engage the electrical connection.
- Connect the fuel hoses and lines separated during removal.
- Install the muffler heat shield and the exhaust system.
- Install the rear axle and the fuel filler neck shield.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Add fuel and install the filler cap.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- With the engine OFF, turn the ignition switch to the ON position for 2 seconds, then turn it to the OFF position for 10 seconds. Again turn it to the ON position and check for fuel leaks.
SENDING UNIT REPLACEMENT
- Remove the fuel tank.
- Clean the area surrounding the sender assembly to prevent contamination of the fuel system.
- Using tool J-24187 or equivalent, remove the sending unit retaining cam. Remove the fuel sender and O-rings from the tank. Discard the O-rings.
- If necessary, separate the fuel pump from the sending unit assembly.
- If removed, install the fuel pump to the sending unit. If the strainer was removed, it must be replaced with a new one.
- Inspect and clean the O-ring mating surfaces.
- Install a new O-ring in the groove around the tank opening. If applicable, install a new O-ring on the fuel sender feed tube.
Install the fuel sender assembly as follows:
- The fuel pump strainer must be in a horizontal position, and when installed, must not block the travel of the float arm. Gently fold the strainer over itself and slowly position the sending assembly in the tank so the strainer is not damaged or trapped by the sump walls.
- Install the retaining cam using tool J-24187 or equivalent.
- Install the fuel tank assembly.