Rear Disc Brakes
Disc brake pads must be new or parallel to within 0.006 in. (0.15mm). Parking brake adjustment is not valid with heavily tapered pads and may cause caliper/parking brake binding. Replace tapered brake pads. Parking brake free-travel should only be made if the caliper has been taken apart. This adjustment will not correct a condition where the caliper levers will not return to their stops.
- Have an assistant apply a light brake pedal load, enough to stop the rotor from turning by hand. This takes up all clearances and ensures that components are correctly aligned.
- Apply light pressure to the caliper lever.
- Measure the free-travel between the caliper lever and the caliper housing. The free-travel must be 0.0024-0.028 in. (0.6-0.7mm).
If the free-travel is incorrect, do the following:
- Remove the adjuster screw.
- Clean the thread adhesive residue from the threads.
- Coat the threads with adhesive.
- Screw in the adjuster screw far enough to obtain 0.024-0.028 in. (0.6-0.7mm) free-travel between the caliper lever and the caliper housing.
- Have an assistant release the brake pedal, then apply the brake pedal firmly 3 times. Recheck the free-travel and adjust as necessary.