Rotate the star wheel adjuster until a slight drag is felt between the shoes and drum, then back off 12 clicks on the adjusting wheel. Put the car in reverse and, while backing up, apply the brakes several times. This will allow the self-adjusters to complete the adjustment.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 13
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assemblies.
- Remove the brake drum.
- Remove the return springs.
- Remove the hold-down springs and pins. Remove the lever pivot.
- Remove the actuator link while lifting up on the actuator lever.
- Remove the actuator lever and lever return spring.
- Remove the shoe guide, parking brake strut and strut spring.
- Remove the brake shoes and disconnect the parking brake lever from the shoe.
- Remove the adjusting screw assembly and spring. Remove the retaining ring, pin from the secondary shoe.
Any part or spring which may appear worn should be replace. The short shoe (primary) should be installed to the front of the vehicle and the long shoe (secondary) should be installed to the rear. After complete installation of the brake shoes a clicking sound should be heard when turning the adjusting screw or self-adjuster. Do not switch parts from the left or right brake assembly, the adjusters are designated Left and Right.
- Clean dirt from all parts and wire brush raised pads on backing plate. Lubricate backing plate pads and adjusting screw with brake grease.
- Install the parking brake lever on the secondary shoe with the pin and new retaining ring.
- Install the adjusting screw and spring. Lubricate the adjusting screw with brake (white) grease.
- Clean and lubricate the contact points of the backing plate. Install the brake shoe assemblies after installing the parking brake cable on the shoe.
- Install the parking brake strut and strut spring by spreading the shoes apart.
- Install the shoe guide, actuator lever and lever return spring.
- Install the hold-down pins, lever pivot and springs. Install the actuator link on the anchor pin.
- Install the actuator link into the actuator lever while holding up on the lever.
- Install the shoe return springs. Install the brake drum. Install the wheel and tire assemblies.
- Adjust the brake and lower the vehicle. Check emergency brake for proper adjustment.