Before attempting any repairs involving the steering wheel or disassembly of it, ensure that the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (Air Bag) system is properly disarmed.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Standard Columns Without Air Bag
- Remove the steering wheel as previously outlined. Remove the trim cover.
- Pry the cover off, and lift the cover off the shaft.
- Position the U-shaped lockplate compressing tool on the end of the steering shaft and compress the lock plate by turning the shaft nut clockwise. Pry the wire snapring out of the shaft groove.
- Remove the tool and lift the lockplate off the shaft.
- Remove the canceling cam assembly and upper bearing preload spring from the shaft.
- Remove the turn signal lever. Push the flasher knob in and unscrew it. On models equipped with a button and a knob, remove the button retaining screw, then remove the button, spring, and knob.
- Pull the switch connector out the mast jacket and tape the upper part to facilitate switch removal. Attach a long piece of wire to the turn signal switch connector. When installing the turn signal switch, feed this wire through the column first, and then use this wire to pull the switch connector into position. On tilt wheels, place the turn signal and shifter housing in low position and remove the harness cover.
- Remove the three switch mounting screws. Remove the switch by pulling it straight up while guiding the wiring harness cover through the column.
- Install the replacement switch by working the connector and cover down through the housing and under the bracket. On tilt models, the connector is worked down through the housing, under the bracket, and then the cover is installed on the harness.
- Install the switch mounting screws and the connector on the mast jacket bracket. Install the column-to-dash trim plate.
- Install the flasher knob and the turn signal lever.
- With the turn signal lever in neutral and the flasher knob out, slide the upper bearing preload spring, and canceling cam assembly onto the shaft.
- Position the lock plate on the shaft and press it down until a new snapring can be inserted in the shaft groove. Always use a new snapring when assembling.
- Install the cover and the steering wheel.
See Figure 1
All elements of energy-absorbing (telescopic) steering columns are very sensitive to damage. Do not strike any part of the column (nuts, bolts, etc.) as this could ruin the entire assembly.
- Disconnect the battery cable.
- Remove the steering wheel as outlined earlier.
- Remove the cover from the steering column shaft.
- Press down on the lockplate and pry the snapring from the shaft.
- Remove the lockplate and the canceling cam.
- Remove the upper bearing preload spring.
- Remove the turn signal lever and the hazard flasher knob.
- Lift up on the tilt lever and position the housing in its central position.
- Remove the switch attaching screws.
- Remove the lower trim cap from the instrument panel and disconnect the turn signal connector from the wiring harness.
- Remove the four bolts which secure the bracket assembly to the jacket.
- Loosen the screw that holds the shift indicator needle and disconnect the clip from the link.
- Remove the two nuts from the column support bracket while holding the column in position. Remove the bracket assembly and wire protector from the wiring, then loosely install the support column bracket.
- Tape the turn signal wires at the connector to keep them fit and parallel.
- Carefully remove the turn signal switch and wiring from the column.
- Carefully install the turn signal switch and wiring into the column.
- Remove the tape from the turn signal wires.
- Install the wire protector and, while holding the column in position, install the two nuts to the column support bracket.
- Connect the clip to the link and tighten the screw that holds the shift indicator needle.
- Install the four bolts which secure the bracket assembly to the jacket.
- Connect the turn signal connector to the wiring harness and install the lower trim cap to the instrument panel.
- Install the switch attaching screws.
- Install the turn signal lever and the hazard flasher knob.
- Install the upper bearing preload spring.
- Install the lockplate and the canceling cam.
- Press down on the lockplate and install the snapring to the shaft using a new snapring.
- Install the cover to the steering column shaft.
- Install the steering wheel.
- Connect the battery cable.
See Figure 2
- Properly disable the SIR air bag system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the inflator module.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Ensure the steering wheel is locked in the straight-ahead position and remove the coil assembly retaining ring.
- Pull the coil assembly out and allow it to hang.
- Using a suitable tool, depress the lock plate to gain access to the snapring. Remove the snapring and remove the lockplate.
- Remove the turn signal canceling cam, upper bearing spring and signal switch arm.
- Remove the hazard warning knob, turn signal lever and steering column wiring protector.
- Disconnect the turn signal switch connector from the harness connector.
- Remove the switch retaining screws and remove the turn signal switch.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Make certain to follow the SIR coil adjustment procedure previously described.