REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
The fuel pump is part of the fuel sender assembly located inside the fuel tank.
- Release the fuel system pressure and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the fuel tank, then raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the fuel tank from the vehicle.
- Clean the area surrounding the sender assembly to prevent contamination of the fuel system.
Remove the fuel sender from the tank as follows:
- Use tool J-24187 or equivalent to remove the sending unit retaining cam. Remove the fuel sender and O-rings from the tank. Discard the O-rings.
- If necessary, separate the fuel pump from the sending unit assembly.
- If removed, install the fuel pump to the sending unit. If the strainer was removed, it must be replaced with a new one.
- Inspect and clean the O-ring mating surfaces.
- Install a new O-ring in the groove around the tank opening. If applicable, install a new O-ring on the fuel sender feed tube.
Install the fuel sender assembly as follows:
- The fuel pump strainer must be in a horizontal position, and when installed, must not block the travel of the float arm. Gently fold the strainer over itself and slowly position the sending assembly in the tank so the strainer is not damaged or trapped by the sump walls.
- Install the retaining cam using tool J-24187 or equivalent.
- Install the fuel tank assembly.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Fill the fuel tank, tighten the fuel filler cap and connect the negative battery cable.
See Figure 3
- Turn the engine OFF and relieve the fuel pressure.
- Remove the air cleaner and plug the THERMAC vacuum port on TBI.
- Install a fuel pressure gauge between the throttle body unit and the fuel line. Use a back-up wrench to hold fuel nut on the TBI when removing the fuel line.
- Start the car and observe the fuel pressure reading. It should be 9-13 psi (62-90 kPa).
- Relieve the fuel pressure.
- Remove the fuel pressure gauge.
- Reinstall the fuel line.
- Start the car and check for fuel leaks.
- Remove plug covering THERMAC vacuum port on the TBI and install the air cleaner.