REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 9
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the instrument panel knee bolster assembly.
- Disconnect the clutch master cylinder pushrod from the clutch pedal.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the transmission assembly.
- Remove the clutch actuator cylinder nuts.
Do NOT let the actuator cylinder hang by the fluid lines, as this could damage them.
- Remove the clutch actuator cylinder and position aside, supporting with a suitable piece of wire.
- Unfasten the transmission brace nut and bolt/screw, then remove the brace.
- Remove the flywheel housing cover retaining bolts/screws, then remove the cover.
- Unfasten the flywheel housing bolts/screws, then remove the housing.
- Remove the clutch pressure plate and cover retaining bolts/screws.
- Remove the clutch pressure plate with the cover and the clutch driven plate assembly.
- Inspect the pressure plate and driven disc for damage and replace if necessary. Inspect the flywheel for damage also.
- Position the driven plate to the flywheel.
- Install the clutch pressure plate (with the cover) and install the retaining bolts/screws finger-tight.
- Align the clutch driven plate with the pilot bearing and clutch pressure plate (with the cover) using tool J 33169 or equivalent alignment arbor.
Tighten the clutch pressure plate and cover bolts/screws, in a star pattern, as follows:
- For 5-speed transmissions, tighten to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm), plus an additional 30 degrees (1993-95 vehicles) or 45 degrees (1996-98 vehicles) using J 36660 or equivalent torque angle meter.
- For 6-speed transmissions, tighten to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Position the flywheel housing assembly and secure with the retaining bolts/screws. Tighten to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm) for 5-speeds or 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm) for 6-speed transmissions.
Check for proper clutch fork-to-clutch release bearing engagement.
- Install the flywheel housing cover and retain with the bolts/screws. Tighten to 75 inch lbs. (8.5 Nm).
- Position the transmission brace, install the retaining nut and bolt/screw, then tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Install the clutch actuator cylinder and secure with retaining nuts. Tighten the nuts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Install the transmission assembly.
- Carefully lower the vehicle.
- Connect the clutch master cylinder pushrod to the clutch pedal.
- Install the instrument panel knee bolster.
- Connect the negative battery cable.