REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1996-98 5-Speed Transmissions
See Figure 1
The clutch master cylinder is located in the engine compartment, on the left side of the firewall, above the steering column.
- Disconnect negative battery terminal from the battery.
- Remove the instrument panel driver knee bolster.
- Disconnect the master cylinder pushrod from clutch pedal.
- Unfasten the master cylinder-to-dash panel retaining nuts and U-bolt.
- Remove the master cylinder from the dash panel.
- Remove the master cylinder reservoir retainer, then remove the reservoir from the left-hand hood strut bracket.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Disconnect actuator cylinder hydraulic line from the actuator using tool J 36221 or equivalent clutch line separator.
- Remove the master cylinder from the vehicle.
- Position the master cylinder in the vehicle and connect the hydraulic line to the actuator. The quick-connect fitting must be pushed on, then pulled back to be sure it is properly engaged. Make sure the braided line is not twisted or kinked. The line must be kept away from other components to avoid causing damage to the line.
- Carefully lower the vehicle.
- Position the master cylinder to the dash panel and install the U-bolt and retaining nuts. Tighten the nuts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Place the master cylinder reservoir onto the left-hand hood strut bracket and install the retainer.
- Connect the master cylinder pushrod to the clutch pedal.
- Install the instrument panel driver knee bolster.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then properly bleed the clutch hydraulic system.