REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Be sure the ignition is in the OFF or LOCK position. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the water pump and crankshaft balancer.
The spark plug wire boots should be twisted1/2turn in each direction while removing. Do not pull on the wires to remove them from the spark plugs. Pull on the boots or use a tool specifically designed for this purpose.
- For 1993-94 vehicles, label and disconnect the spark plug wires from the distributor.
For 1995-98 vehicles, remove the spark plug wire harnesses from the distributor, as follows:
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the power steering pump.
- Unfasten the spark plug wire harness from the wire harness clips.
- Remove the spark plug wire harness from the distributor.
- Unplug the 4-terminal electrical connector from the distributor.
- If equipped, disconnect the distributor vacuum harness from the distributor.
- Loosen and remove the distributor attaching bolts.
- Pull the distributor assembly forward until the driveshaft disengages from the end of the camshaft.
- Mark the top surface of the driveshaft for proper alignment during installation.
Replace the O-rings on the coupling shaft or ignition system performance may suffer. Lubricate the O-rings and the end of the camshaft.
- Install the distributor assembly into position with the driveshaft in the end of the camshaft. Rotate the distributor coupling until the camshaft sprocket pin slot aligns with the camshaft sprocket pin. Slide the distributor onto the end of the camshaft until fully seated on the engine front cover.
- Install the distributor mounting bolts. Tighten to 97-106 in. lbs. (11-12 Nm).
- Engage all electrical connections and/or vacuum hoses on the distributor that were unplugged earlier.
- Install the crankshaft balancer and water pump.
- Connect the negative battery cable.