REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the transmission.
- For 3.8L engines, with manual transmissions, remove the flywheel housing bolts/screws, then remove the housing.
- Unfasten the bolts attaching the flywheel to the crankshaft flange. If may be necessary to use tool J 37096 or equivalent to hold the flywheel in place when removing the bolts. Remove the flywheel.
- Inspect the flywheel for cracks, and inspect the ring gear for burrs or worn teeth. Replace the flywheel if any damage is apparent. Remove burrs with a mill file.
- Install the flywheel. The flywheel will only attach to the crankshaft in one position, as the bolt holes are unevenly spaced.
Install the bolts and tighten the bolts in a crisscross pattern to specification, as follows:
- For the 3.4L engine, tighten to 61 ft. lbs. (83 Nm).
- For the 3.8L engine, tighten to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm), plus an additional 50 degree rotation using J 36660 or equivalent torque angle meter.
- For the 5.7L engine, tighten to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm).
- If removed, install the flywheel housing.
- Install the transmission.